Sunday, January 10, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: THE LIVES WE LEAD BY ALEXANDRA EGI


The Lives We Lead
By Alexandra Egi
Paperback Edition: 256 pages
Published November 3rd 2015 by Mascot Books

MY GOODREADS RATING 3/5 STARS

(Thanks to Smith Publicity, Mascot Books and NetGalley, I received an ebook copy of this book for free to review.)

Amazon Synopsis:
“Kings Stand is one of the most exclusive prep schools in the country, but the lives behind these ivy-covered walls are far from perfect. Led by Ms. Hillcrest, a headmistress with a dark secret, the privileged students face difficult families, fear, heartbreak, abandonment, and uncertain futures. Eleventh graders Zoey, Madi, Jenni, and Ashley must each conquer their private troubles, tearing the group apart. Moving past their issues will take friendship, dedication, and self-confidence. If the girls learn more about themselves, their relationships, and the importance of special bonds, they will come out of these battles stronger and ready to move into healthier adulthoods but can they separate their egos and hurt feelings for their own good?” (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631771957/ref=x_gr_w_visstd_sin_t1_test_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_visstd_sin_t1_test_bb-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1631771957&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2)

       Let me start off by saying the author of this book is a seventeen year old. Which is why I am reviewing it a bit differently than other books.
       The writing style throughout the book seems very laid back and easy to read, at many points it felt like I was listening to someone read me a story, which is nice, but made me feel disconnected to the story itself. I found the characters very juvenile (even for eleventh graders) and extremely selfish. I also thought the characters were way too territorial of one another, and just too self centered. I also thought the way the story switched character perspectives was a bit too quick for my liking, and made me confused as to which character was which. Another thing I wasn’t too fond of was the fact that pretty much each scene was told from all four characters points of view. It made it very redundant, but on the other hand it was nice that you had the chance to hear what each character was feeling during each scene.
      I will say that it had a wonderful storyline and the author has extreme potential. I would definitely give another of her books a read in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment